Our mammoth expansion
your stories how they deserve to be told. It means MOI can bring the world to Idaho, and Idaho to the world better than ever before.
Numerous organizations and individuals have contributed to this effort. MOI would like to give particular thanks to the following major donors: Maeck Family Foundation, Petty family, and Carr Foundation and the following
LIVE CONSTRUCTION UPDATES BELOW
Phase 1: More than 20,000 square feet of new space, including:
- A larger two-story atrium for international traveling exhibits
- An improved Maeck Family Foundation Education Center inside the main building
- Customizeable exhibit and event space to keep things fresh
- Food options for patrons who need a break
- More available parking (95 spaces total)
- Anticipated opening: September 2019
Phase 2: Interior modifications to current space, including:
- Almost triple the space for Idaho/regional exhibits
- Planned new permanent exhibit: The Way Out West
- An improved accessions, conservation, and research workspace
- The ability to remain open during exhibit transitions
- Improved flow
- Anticipated opening: Summer 2020
MAKE YOUR MARK
The Museum of Idaho needs your help to create The Way Out West, a massive new exhibition to engage, inspire, and celebrate our region’s extraordinary heritage. One way to contribute is by purchasing a custom-engraved brick for our patio area with a tax-deductible donation of either $100 or $500. For a limited time, your brick also comes with 50% off a general membership to MOI.
For other ways to contribute, please contact MOI Director of Development Nick Gailey (208-522-1400 x 3013 or
Track our progress
SEE LIVE construction photos (updated every 15 mins.) plus a time-lapse of the progress and more.
- August 13: Excavation is nearly complete.
- July 25: Construction crews demolished the old Maeck Family Foundation Education Center this morning.
- July 18: Construction fences are up in preparation for the demolition of the old Maeck Family Foundation Education Center building