Meet a Scientist/Discovery Day
On the third Saturday of select months, join us from 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
for the Meet a Scientist and Discovery Day programs.
Participants will explore a different theme each time with lots of interactive educational fun.
1. Meet a Scientist
This program is free and open to all ages. From 9:30-10:30 a.m. on the third Saturday of select months, participants will enjoy a free, interactive presentation by guest topic experts who will give you the inside scoop on the theme for the month.
Guest Speakers for 2015 (subject to change--registration for these programs will be available after Jan. 1, 2015)
- January 17: Eric Whiting, Idaho National Laboratory's Computer Aided Visual Environments--Click here to register for Meet a Scientist
- February 21: Mitzi Ellingson, Idaho Falls High School, Forensic Entomology
- March 21: Troy Smoot, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Solving Crimes
- April 18: Garry Brown, Idaho National Laboratory, Energy
- May 16: Marilyn Cuthill, Craigshead Beringia South, Large Predators in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
- September 19: Steve Shrophire, Idaho State University, Physics of Pirates
- October 17: Phenomenal Physics, The Curse of Black Sam Bellamy (this will be held at the ARTitorium on Broadway)
- November 21: TBA
- December 19: Gregg Losinski, Idaho Fish and Game, Life in Idaho's Forests
Interested in registering kids for Discovery Day? Please register for that program separately below...
2. Discovery Day
The excitement continues right after Meet a Scientist for children ages 6-12. From 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., registrants will explore the month's theme in greater detail through hands-on projects and fun, educational activities taught by qualified educators.
Discovery Days for 2015 (subject to change--registration for these programs will be available on Jan. 1, 2015)
- January 17: NO Discovery Day will be held this month, but be sure to join us for the exciting Meet a Scientist listed above!
- February 21: Forensic Entomology--Click here to register for Discovery Day
- March 21: Mystery at the Museum
- April 18: Energy
- May 16: Exploring the Food Chain
- September 19: Physics of Pirates
- October 17: The Hunt for the Lost Treasure of the Pirate Ship, Whydah
- November 21: TBA
- December 19: Life in Idaho's Forests
Cost: Discovery Day is $20 per child, $15 for MOI members. Preregistration is required. Note: Please be aware that due to online payment consumer protection programs, you may have to register and pay for each participant separately. Thank you for your participation.
Parents: volunteer to help with a Discovery Day and get a discounted admission for a child. Contact the Education Department at 522-1400 ext. 3002 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For more information on any of the Museum of Idaho education programs, contact
Director of Education at (208) 522-1400 ext. 3002, or email@example.com.